Launched in 1982 under the leadership of James D. Bernstein, the Foundation for Health Leadership & Innovation (formerly the N.C. Foundation for Advanced Health Programs) is the place where programs and partnerships grow to improve health of the whole-person through a whole-community approach.
We are a home for programs, connecting them to collectively address health issues, while providing the space, resources, and expertise they need to do their work. We act as a convener for partners by creating an open environment for developing collaborative relationships and advancing new ideas.
The Foundation develops and supports innovative programs and partnerships that advance affordable and sustainable quality health services to improve the overall health of communities in North Carolina and beyond.
We envision healthy communities where all people flourish.
- Everyone has a right to health care.
- Health encompasses the whole-person.
- Healthy individuals come from healthy communities.
- Care should be delivered in a manner that is collaborative, efficient, compassionate, respectful, and effective.
- Healthcare systems belong to and are shaped by the communities they serve.